Monday, February 05, 2007

Baby, It's Cold Outside

It is cold out! According to thebostonchannel.com we are looking at 16ºF with a -3ºF wind chill. Brrr! So in light of the chilly weather (and the fact I'm staying in for my lunch break), I thought I'd post some links about cold weather running - all from runnersworld.com.

The main article, Run Through the Cold, contains links to many other articles telling you how to do just that.

One link I found particularly interesting was Is Cold-Weather Running Bad for You? This is a definite must read because it contains a story about a man and his frozen penis. Yes, you read that right. Frozen penis.

The second link that interested me was Winter Advisory, which has a brief section at the end containing cold weather running suggestions from the members of Running Club North in Fairbanks, Alaska. Some of their recommendations include: don't worry about pace, give your shoes a five minute blast with a hairdryer (at a distance) before heading out, and switch your schedule so you can run during warmer parts of the day. The two pieces of advice that struck me most were...
  1. "Wearing a balaclava warms and humidifies the air you breathe in." In fact, many of the members say they feel naked running without one.
  2. Change into dry clothes - like a fleece and sweatpants (oddly one of my favorite outfits) immediately when you are done with your run because damp clothes will increase heat loss.

All of this information is so beneficial, especially on these chilly days. I can't believe there are actually people in Alaska running outside everyday. I have to admit, I'd probably wuss out on the outdoor stuff and head inside to the treadmill.

No comments: