Saturday, February 10, 2007

New Personal Farthest - 16.5 miles

I finished my new personal farthest today - 16.5 miles. I have to be honest now... it look a lot out of me. Not energy wise because I was hydrated and had enough to eat before, during and after the run. It took a lot out of me physically and mentally.

Luckily, I had no toes problems (excluding a huge blood blister), but my knees decided to tighten up towards the end of the run. All I can really say is... Ouch! Stairs?! Who invented stairs?! I need to call my landlord to get an elevator installed in my building - or at least one of those cool wheelchair/elevator things for the stairs - before the marathon. I'm icing (again!) and I bought some glucosamine & chondroitin pills with msm today so I'm hoping the combination of these will relieve some pain.

I now understand how much a run can take out of someone mentally. It got tough around mile 14/15 just staying focused and not thinking about how far I had left to run. Even running with Sarah, I still started to notice some mental breadown, but then she saved me:
"Just five more minutes," Sarah said.
"What?!," I said.
"Yeah, you can do anything for five minutes."

It's such a good way to look at a run and I'm definitely keeping that in mind going forward. If I can clean a toilet for five minutes (ew!), then I can run for five minutes.

This is what training is all about: getting your body ready to physically handle the marathon, getting your brain ready to mentally handle the marathon and getting your system ready to handle the fluid and food take. It's all trial and error and on April 16th, it will all come together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always like to think of 5 minutes as being from the stop sign on DeWitt Road to our house and thats not far at all compared to what you just ran.