Friday, March 09, 2007

An Exerpt from Runner's World, Marathon Diary: Deena Kastor

The following entry appeared on Runner's World on March 8, 2007. I wanted to share it with you for three big reasons: (1) I find Deena Kastor to be very inspirational for not only women runners, but all runners and she also serves as the best elite runner we have in the US, (2) I swear the wind always changes direction to challenge me by blowing directly in my face, and (3) I think it's great that even someone as elite and well respected as Deena waits for it to get warm (above 40˚F). If I had waited for it to get above 40˚F this week, I would have waited 6 days! What can I expect, it is still winter after all.

Marathon Diary: Deena Kastor

March 8, 2007
39 days until Boston

I am in front of the thermometer trying to encourage it to reach 40 degrees before I set out on my second run of the day. The dog is anxious to go. She keeps tossing her “Hello Kitty” stuffed animal into the air.

“Hold on,” I tell her.

This week I’ve been suffering terribly from jet lag after my trip to Japan, where I competed in the Yokohama International Women’s
Ekiden. Since then, I’ve been awake every night from 2:00 to 4:00. I lay there counting sheep, mindfully breathing, practicing relaxation techniques I learned from a sports psychologist 15 years ago, but to no avail. My body cannot rest.

As a result, my strength training hasn’t been great. I follow my teammates around the Snowcreek Athletic Club, where we train, and mimic whatever they do with the dumbbells, my feet dragging. So tired.

At practice on Thursday, however, I was able to use my weariness to my advantage. We were alternating 1 mile and 1 kilometer repeats in the wind. I hate the wind, especially in Round Valley, where we happened to be working out. The wind there is like some freakish scientific phenomenon that manages to get under my skin every time. It’s a strong, sporadic breeze that challenges you no matter which direction you run. In my zombie-like existence, however, the wind didn’t bother me. I was numb and immune to it. I don’t think this is the coping technique I have been searching for all these years, but it worked that day. I also wouldn’t recommend sleep deprivation as a means to overcoming your obstacles. I’m merely pointing out that my biggest struggle for the week was also my greatest asset.

I’m finding there are lessons to learn all the time. This week, the lesson was loud and clear: My biggest struggle for the week (exhaustion) helped me through the most annoying workout conditions (wind). Is it possible to get something positive out of every situation? I hope so!

There’s the 40 degrees I was waiting for. Gotta run.

No comments: