Monday, March 05, 2007

Why I Run

After reading Ultramarathon Man, by Dean Karnazes, I started thinking, why do I run?

For the most part I run for myself. I run because I want to and because it makes me feel good. It gives me more energy, it lifts my spirits and it gives me more self confidence.

Every once in awhile I need an emotional run. I need to run because I have to get out of my apartment and just think. Alone. Just me and the road. I like to watch my pace along these runs. If I'm upset, I'm faster. When I'm even-keeled, I'm slower. These types of runs aren't bad and I don't do it because I'm crazy. I love them because I am able to be alone with my thoughts. Sometimes I finish with the same opinion or standpoint and other times I'm on the complete opposite side.

Sometimes I run because I feel like it's all I can do outside in good weather in the city. I don't have a dog or kids to take to the park. I don't particularly like to shop. There isn't enough room to play catch in my front yard (a.k.a. one square foot piece of sod). Where I grew up in the country you could do anything outside! It was great! The city is quite an adjustment in that way. On the brightside, I've picked up running as a way to fill up this time. I hate to waste a beautiful day inside!

And last, but not least... sometimes I run because I want to eat a whole pint of Ben & Jerry's Coffee Heath Bar ice cream! Yes, a whole pint - that's like a full day of calories! And boy is it good!!

_________________
Training note: It was 10.75 on Sunday after a bit of sickness on Saturday. Feeling better now! Hopefully any sickness is out of my system until after April 16th, which is just 42 days away! Ah!

No comments: