Saturday, February 24, 2007

Big Sacrifices and ... Longest Run Yet!


I made what I will call my first "real" sacrifice today. I went to Syracuse University, which is 5 hours from where I live now. Due to the fact that I have a Monday through Friday job and long runs on Saturday mornings, it's very difficult for me to get to Syracuse to watch any basketball games. Fortunately, Syracuse plays Providence today in Providence - yay! I could finally go to a game! Or so I thought. BMC had an 18.3 mile run scheduled and now I had a decision: attend 'cuse vs. friars or run 18.3 miles. Easy choice, right? Maybe to the non-runner, yes. However, I'm a runner now. I chose 18.3 miles and I am glad that I did. That's right, glad, happy... actually, ecstatic! (OK, maybe now I'm pushing it.)

Today's run was just like every Saturday long run - cold. Except today, we also got some wind. Fun stuff! It didn't feel that bad though because Sarah, Stephanie and I were talking so much (we're girls, that's what we do) that I didn't think much about the cold and wind. I had two GU packets, gatorade, water, gummy worms and pretzels to help me through. I really have to thank everyone who does the water/snack stops - you treat all of us so great, I really appreciate everything you do!

I felt really good through the entire run. Almost too good. I just get nervous that maybe I'm not pushing hard enough, but I also don't want to push too hard and get hurt.

I'm excited to have accomplished another PF. It's such a great accomplishment. I had a big smile on my face when we got back to Fitcorp. I felt a bit crazy at that point for smiling, but hey, I'm crazy for doing this and I'm OK with it.

I started to stretch when we got back to the gym. I did my usual quad stretch (lift your foot behind you to your butt and stretch), however it took me three attempts to get my foot up. My hamstring just kept stinging saying "Hey, put that foot down and stretch me first!" That has never happened before. It felt really odd. The right leg was better, but that left leg, well she was just being a b*$%&!

After the run, Maureen and BMC treated the team to bagels at Finagle. It was so great! I had a bagel with cream cheese and coffee (coffee in a cup, not on the bagel). Delicious! This also gave us a little opportunity to mingle with the rest of team. By rest of the team, I mean the fast people I normally can't talk to because they are too far ahead of me. :)

Next week we are scheduled to run 10.5 miles from the Woodland T station to Fitcorp at One Beacon. A few of us from the team are considering replacing this run with a trip out to Hopkinton to run the start and maybe increase the miles to 12. The downhill stretch at the beginning concerns me because I don't know what it looks like and everyone with Boston experience says to be careful and not go too fast in the beginning. I think it would be great if we can all get out there next Saturday for a run instead of doing our usual 10.5. I don't need to see Heartbreak again... I own it. Haha!

Oh and before I leave off today, I just want to say, "Hi, Kevin!"

And now I have to wach the last 7:43 of the 'cuse game. Let's go 'cuse!!
_________________________
Post game update...

Game tied at 65 with 30-ish seconds left to go. Nichols ('cuse) hits a three, I jump with excitement and smack my knee on the coffee table. Oops!
Syracuse wins!! 71 to 67. Good job, guys!! We're all winners today! (Ha! I'm so corny.)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Yes, we rock!!! Sorry you missed the game, but I couldn't have run that without you :) Glad 'cuse won!!