Sunday, June 03, 2007

I've Been MIA, but Now I'm Back in Action

Post-marathon depression. Those three words describe my past month since the Boston Marathon. It wasn't easy and it still isn't. I didn't want to run. Nothing felt as good as that day and I didn't know how to get that feeling back. That love for running, that love for training.

I ran Boston's Run to Remember on May 27th. My boss was there to join me in the race. We had a little duel going. I left him a note that morning on his race packet letting him know I'd be winning our race. Little did I know what was to come. I had so very little training in - it's not an excuse, just the truth and my own fault - and it was a very hot morning. I ended up finishing in 1:51:15 and averaging an 8:30 min/mi pace. This was 8 seconds off my previous half marathon pace. My boss however, came in 10 minutes before me and was nice enough to meet my exhausted self at the finish and walk me to the water area.

I was hoping for a PR that day, but it didn't happen. In hindsight, it shouldn't have happened and it was far reaching for me to expect it. I had no training in for it except for some casual whenever I felt like it general aerobic runs and a few track workouts. I was not ready for that race and my legs told me so. They were incredibly sore afterward and even into the next day. I was upset with my performance and doubted why I was even running.

Tuesday morning before work, my boss gave me a short therapy session. We went over the race - both mine and his - and talked about the ups and downs. He helped me rationalize what had been happening to me the past month and explained that it really wasn't that uncommon. After out talk, I felt much better.

Tuesday night I headed out for a training run on the Vision 5K course. I had been organizing a team from my company (Team Take C.H.A.R.G.E.) for the Vision 5K on June 2nd. We had 5 walkers and 15 runners signed up. All my coworkers new that I had run Boston and I did not want to dissapoint any of them in this race.

The training run went well because I took it very easy and ran with the Director of my department. He was ready to stop at about mile 1.8, but I assured him we didn't have much left and told him to keep going. I can be a real slave driver. I had a great time on this run. Seeing him complete the 3.1 miles running the whole way really inspired me and reminded me just how good running can feel.

The Vision 5K was just a few days away and was about to become the turning point of my post-marathon depression. You'll have to read more about this in my next blog post.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I don't think its post "marathon" depression.....i think its post "running buddy" depression :) We have to get together soon!

Glad you are out of your slump....ready to start training again??