Sunday, June 10, 2007

Vision 5K - PR!!

I did it! I got my PR in the Vision 5K on June 2nd, 2007. I could not have been happier with my race. OK, that's not true. I could always be happier, but I was very happy with the way I ran.

This was the race that I organized a team from my company for. We ended up having 19 total participants, which I was psyched about. We had 5 walkers and 14 runners. Four of the runners placed in their age group. Our Men's and Women's teams each took first place and as a Co-Ed team we came in second place. I had no idea that we were such a fast company!

I ended up running the 5K in 22:17 (7:11 pace). I came in 42nd overall, 2nd in my age group and the 7th woman overall. My strategy was basically just to lay it all on the line. I went out as fast as I could while holding back enough to be able to finish. I did the first mile wicked fast, eased in for the second while trying to maintain a good push, held on for the first half of the third and then kicked it in for the second half of the 3rd. I was trying to catch one of the girls from my team, but I just couldn't catch her. She was too fast for me that day!

I crossed the finish and really thought I was going to vomit. It was such a hot and humid morning and I really wasn't hydrated enough. My manager was sitting at the finish and when I walked over to him I thought, "Oh my goodness, I am going to throw up on my manager." Luckily, I didn't and the feeling passed.

I really hope that the company decides to do something like this again and that they let me organize it. It really sounded like everyone had a great time and we definitely got the opportunity to get up and get some exercise!

Results from coolrunning.com

No comments: