Sunday, June 10, 2007

Jimmy Kennedy Squirrel Run for ALS - 5 mile

On Saturday, Sarah came down to Quincy and we ran the Jimmy Kennedy Squirrel Run for ALS together. It was a non-certified 5 mile route through Quincy and along Wollaston Beach. It was a very nice route and one that I often run on my own.

It was misting all morning long and pretty chilly, until of course we started running. I had my hat, shorts and t-shirt on, but once we hit the beach around mile 3, I was really starting to heat up a bit too much.

This was my first 5 mile race and I have to say that I think I prefer the 5K to the 5 mile. It was hard to judge how fast to go out, but I'm happy with the way it turned out.

It was nice to run with Sarah again. We chatted a little bit, but we were both going a little bit faster than our old long run pace from Boston training so we couldn't really say too much. Our lunch afterwards allowed for the talking.

Sarah taught me how to do splits on my Garmin so I actually have them now! It's so fun to see them! It really gives me a better idea of my pace and how I ran the race.

In training for my fall marathon today was supposed to be a recovery run, but I just didn't feel like doing that. I can't pay for a race and use it as a recovery run. Mentally, that doesn't work for me.

My overall finishing time was 37:27 (7:29 pace), which was good enough for 16th woman and 7th in my age group. My splits were

Mile 1: 8:00 min./mi.

Mile 2: 7:25 min./mi.

Mile 3: 7:33 min./mi.

Mile 4: 7:35 min./mi.

Mile 5: 7:27 min./mi.

I don't know when I'll race again. It seems like I've been doing a lot of it lately and I'm really starting my fall marathon training now so I need to focus on that. Hopefully, I'll be able to squeeze in some more good race though.

Oh, looks like the fall marathon will be Mohawk Hudson River Marathon in Albany, NY. For now that's what I'm training for, but I'm not registered yet and I don't know why. I think I'm just delaying the inevitable.

Results on coolrunning.com

No comments: