Thursday, June 14, 2007

Book Review: Marathon Woman, by Kathrine Switzer


I finished Kathrine Switzer's book, Marathon Woman, tonight. Before reading this book, I really took for granted the fact that I, as a woman, can put on shorts, t-shirt and running sneakers and go out for a run without anyone, including myself, thinking twice about it.

Kathrine takes us through her running career starting out when her father encouraged her to run around the perimeter of their yard because he and her mother did not want her to go into cheer leading. Her parents taught her that life was about participating, not spectating. I agree with them. I've never liked cheerleaders, but that's a different story. I've always played some kind of sport since I was very young. Sports have made me feel strong and powerful. I never wanted to be a dainty girl; I wanted to be strong enough to take care of myself. I think running has helped me with that.

Another interesting point that Kathrine makes throughout her book is that any push back she had when it came to being a woman runner came more from other woman than from men. At first, this really surprised me. Then I thought back to the conversations I've had with a few people in my life about how women tend to act towards one another. In my experience, I've found that some - not all - women tend to only want to help themselves out. For instance, a woman at the top of the ladder in a company, may try to hold back those women who are below her because she wants to remain at the top. From what I've seen women tend to do this more than men. Maybe women fought so hard for equality that now we still have some fight left in us and just aren't sure how to use it. Maybe I'm totally wrong. I do have to say thought that I agree with Kathrine; when one woman is successful or powerful or beautiful, she is not looked at well by other women. (And yes, I will admit I am at fault for this too.)

This book is about a lot more than just Kathrine's battle with Jock Semple. She talks about her personal life, her training, her full time job, how she organized the dream race and her fight to help make the woman's marathon a part of the Olympic Games.

I definitely recommend this book to anyone who is interested in empowering women, the evolution of women's running or just needs a little reminder of why people run.


No comments: