Saturday, June 16, 2007

Battle with the Tool Belt & Other Notes about Warm Weather Running

I am book smart. That does not mean I have common sense. It was supposed to be a beautiful day today - sunshine, warm weather - and I was going to take advantage of it by doing a general aerobic run. I prepared my tool belt (a.k.a. fuel belt, but termed tool belt by Sarah because one looks like a tool wearing it), put on sunscreen, shorts and tank and headed out at noon. Yup, you heard me. Noon! See no common sense. From 10am-2pm is the hottest part of the day and I decided to go out. Needlesss to say I learned a few things today.

1. I do look like a tool in my fuel belt.
2. I have to battle with my fuel belt to keep it from sliding up my waist.
3. I get really thirsty at noon-time runs on a hot day.
4. I sweat a lot and I like it.
5. I need to plan my fluid intake.
6. Next time I will bring a rag to wipe off all my sweat.
7. I will wear deep woods off even in the day time. A little explanation of that... I had about 50 of those little dead flies stuck to my arms, chest and legs after my run. They must have drowned in my sweat.

The most important thing I learned is that I need to either wake up early and run or run later in the day so I can avoid the hottest part of the day.

I did have a lot of fun out there. I only saw one other person running. It made me feel like I was getting one step up on everyone else who was training. Maybe it's just that they were smart enough to get up early and do it.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I did the same exact thing on Saturday on the Newton Hills....needless to say it was not a great run! I kept saying to Bryan that I learned my lesson....no more sleeping in on Saturdays!