Sunday, October 07, 2007

BAA Half Marathon - New PR Set


I ran the BAA Half Marathon in Boston today and managed to set a new PR. The weather was close to perfect. It was 68 degrees and very cloud with a light misty rain. There was a little wind, but only in a few sections of the course.


If I have ever been prepared for any race it was this one. I followed my training plan rather strictly - although not perfectly, missing a couple long runs. I had two goals: (1) PR, (2) finish in 1:45. My race plan was to start with the 8:00 min./mi. pack and settle into that pace. I was to hold that pace through the 6-7 mile mark where I'd assess how I was feeling. I would continue with 8:00 minute miles until 10 and if I was feeling good would kick it up a notch. Then at 12 it was going to be a race to the finish. Needless to say, that's not exactly how it went. In fact, it went better.


I started out in the 8:00 pack, but everyone was flying by me and it seemed that no one was running 8's. So I just stuck to my race plan and managed a 7:47 first mile, but I felt like I was running slow. Even though it felt that way I just kept going at that pace because I knew I had 12.1 more miles to go. I struggled a bit up the long hill as we headed into the Franklin Park Zoo and then mentally broke down a bit while we ran in the zoo. For some reason I just wanted to get out of there. I ran the zoo miles in 7:43 and 8:07. That was my only 8 on the course. After that I was back mentally strong as I left the zoo. Around mile 10 I had a very sharp shooting pain in my hip that was actually so painful I was afraid I might have to drop out. I came in at mile 10 and 11 with a 7:28 and 7:53, respectively. Instead of dropping out I said to myself, "Eh, they have medical personnel at the end so just get there and if I'm still sore they'll fix me up." Granted, that probably wasn't the best thing to say if I was seriously injured, but luckily it never came to that. I kicked it in around mile 12 and just wanted to see that finish line. I could hear the announcer calling people's name as they crossed the finish, but it felt like I was never going to get there. Eventually, I did make it to the finish in a PR 1:42:35.


I was really happy with this race. My splits were really great and pretty consistent with the course topography. My lungs felt great throughout the entire race and my legs only tired (except my hip) around mile 12, which is when I would have expected to get a bit tired.


Now the question is, what do I do next? National Marathon in Washington, DC with my little sister? Boston Marathon in April for charity? For now I think I'll aim for a few more 5K's while I decide what my next big event will be. I hate not having a training schedule. I do much better with one.


Tomorrow, Sarah and I are going to watch the Tufts 10K in Boston. They have an incredible elite field of women - Deena Kastor, Kara Goucher, Katie McGregor, Amy Rudolph - and I can't wait to see them run. They are such an inspiration. In fact to get motivated for this race I watched Kara Goucher beat Paula Radcliffe in the Great North Run on YouTube about a million times (ok so maybe just twice).


Also, before I go... Thank you so much for coming to cheer for me, Sarah! It was so encouraging to see you and you gave me great motivation! You are going to do great next weekend at the Hartford Marathon!


No comments: