Tuesday, October 30, 2007

NOVA Marathon Challenge

I watched the NOVA Marathon Challenge on PBS on Tuesday night. The show documents 13 runners as they train for and run their first marathon - the Boston Marathon. One of their coaches was Uta Pippig. At one point, she is on Heartbreak Hill running up it with the NOVA runners. She gives them advice. All I could think was how crazy that would have been to have The Uta Pippig telling you "you can do it, stay relaxed, you've got it" - how incredible! You can read all about the challenge here.

I first thought, "Why would I need to watch that? I lived it.", but really I am glad I did watch it. I spent the last 15 minutes of it crying. I cry sometimes when I watch running and I'm OK with it. I cried watching Kara Goucher win the Great North Run on YouTube and I was out right sobbing watching the NOVA Marathon Challenge. I guess I cried - ok bawled - because I remember what it felt like to run all those miles in training and on race day with my training partners, Sarah & Steph, but also because I cannot run right now and I just want it back.

I want the feeling back. I want to see the sweat dripping on me. I want the cool fall air on my skin. I want to break out my tights. I want to put on my long sleeves. I want to experience those hot showers have long, cold runs. I want those endorphins. I'm like an addict in withdrawl. So here is my last shot before PT tomorrow morning...

Dear Goddess of Running,
Please, I need to get back on the road. I need these legs to be in motion again. I'll even take it slow... OK, I'll try my best to take it slow. Please, I'll give up ice cream for a month... OK, I'll only eat ice cream once a month. And I'll never litter the beautiful routes I run on or that others run on. I'll never curse running and say, "I'll just go tomorrow instead." I'll never take advantage of the fact that I have to able legs to run on. I'll cross train. I'll weight train. Please just listen. Listen to my prayer. I want to run again. I really need to run again. I'll do my best to be a smart runner.
In Running Spirit,
Janette

I hope she hears me. In the meantime... sweet dreams and here's to PT tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

This post gave me pangs of guilt as I sit and ponder whether to run or not run today. I think I'll run.

I love your blog...