Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Great Outdoors

I have been running in the great outdoors for one week and I am ecstatic to be back out there. That being said, I am struggling with the fact that I am just not where I once was. I know I'm recovering from an injury, but still it's frustrating. I'm not allowed to run very far or very fast, but at least I'm running and everything will come back with time, training, focus and determination. I hope.

On Sunday, I completed my longest outdoor run since the injury - 4.7 miles in 40 minutes. My IT band on my right leg was really tight towards the end of the run, which was mind boggling to me because that hasn't hurt since the beginning of this year when I was doing big miles for Boston '07. I have a feeling my right leg may be picking up some of the slack for my left leg (the injured one).

My PT gave me a running, strength and cross training workout that gets me until this Saturday when I will do a 45 minute run. It's funny to be in a gym again... I'm terrible at the strength and cross training part of the whole thing, but I am learning to love it. I have been on the elliptical and am somehow finding that fun. I've also found a new love for rowing - I've never done it before and probably look ridiculous, but it's fun! The strength part is going well too and I am feeling stronger all around. In fact, here's a picture of my gym gear - magazine for reading while on the elliptical, post-it with the day's workout and pen for notes.

On Friday, I will see my PT again and consult with him on where I can go from here - at the last consult he said he could have me marathon training again by January 1st - and what's up with my IT band.

1 comment:

Steph said...

Foam roller baby! It works wonders-especially on the IT band-get deep in there.

I think most female runners have some leg imbalance to a degree (esp. after an injury) so single leg work is critical. Single leg squats, lunges etc.