Thursday, January 25, 2007

Elite Runner, Deena Kastor, Enters Boston


A couple of months ago I saw this woman with killer legs. She was on the cover of Runner's World magazine and her name is Deena Kastor.


I had no idea who Deena Kastor was, but inside the issue I had the opportunity to find out. She is a world class runner, recipient of the Runner's World Heroes of 2006 award, olympic medalist, record holder and the woman runner I admire.


I will be competing agaist Deena Kastor in the 2007 Boston Marathon. Kastor, along with two other elite women, have entered the marathon (read about it here). I understand that I will not run beside her at any point in the race, but we will go the same distance, we will run by the same places and here the same crowd.


I can't think of another sport where I would have the opportunity to compete against world class athlete I admire. I could never sign up for a volleyball game with Gabrielle Reese or play basketball with Pat Summit. However, I can enter a race against an elite runner.


No. I will not beat Deena Kastor and like I said, I probably won't even see her, but it's still pretty exciting to know that when I look at the long list of results both of our names will be on there.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Darn.....I guess that means I can't win! I read that story in RW yesterday too. How exciting!!!