Saturday, February 03, 2007

Longest Run Ever!

Today Team BMC ran 14.5 miles from our Fitcorp training center at One Beacon Street out to Centre Street in Newton and back. This is my longest run ever. Ever couple weeks I'll be running my furthest. What a great feeling!

It was a nice run because we got to run Heartbreak Hill (which is now becoming a close friend of mine since I see it every weekend). The worst part of the day was the fact that is was so cold! It was only about 12 degrees when I left my apartment - not accounting for the wind chill. I bundled up for the run and got warm after about 15 minutes or so, but it was definitely cold out!

I tried GU for the first time. Although it was slightly frozen it wasn't too bad. I had trouble opening it because my hands were so cold when I took them out of my mittens, but all in all it was OK. I'm sure I'll be trying it again when the 16 miler comes up in a couple weeks.

On Wednesday, I ran 6 hill repeats on Beacon Hill with about a 1 mile warmup and 1 mile cool down. By the time I went to bed Wednesday night, my left middle toe was swollen and sore. It felt like my fingers did when I would jam them during basketball. I talked to my boss about it on Thursday and he talked to his running friend and they concluded that my shoes could be too small or too big. Hm... I have quite the dilemma. If they are too small my toes are jamming all the time. If they are too big, the downhills could be forcing my foot to the front of the shoe and jamming my toe. Looks like I'll be taking a couple days off so that I'm ready for this weekends 10.5 mile run. I plan to see how that goes and from there I may be headed back to Marathon Sports to see what advice they can give me.

No comments: