Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Running vs. Jogging

And the age old debate continues... what makes a runner a runner and a jogger a jogger? Who's better? Who's cooler? Who's more dedicated? Who dresses prettier? Who dresses smarter?

Runner's World has a discussion thread on this topic where Run Dad Run points out that one is a runner when running "becomes a way of life." I agree with him. When I first starting the act of running, I would have only called myself a jogger. I only ran because I was carrying about 30 extra pounds. I didn't need to run, I didn't crave it. I could have just as easily gone to the gym and rode the bike to shed the weight. Now, I need to run. I crave running - almost as much as ice cream. When I'm not running, I'm reading about it or writing about it or talking to someone about it or thinking about it. I'm obsessed with it. My name is Janette and I'm addicted to running. Seriously. I am a runner.

John Bingham wrote an article for the November 2007 Runner's World called, "I am Not a Jogger: I may waddle when I run, but I'm running all the same." I really enjoyed reading this article because Bingham points out all the things that he feels make him a runner. He says he is a runner because his runs have names (i.e., tempo run, fartlek), his shoes are training equipment and not a fashion statement, and because he is willing to work to reach his potential. Most importantly, Bingham says, "I am a runner because I say I am. And no one can tell me I'm not." So take that all you runner versus jogger people who just want to have a debate! You might be faster than me. You might log more miles, but I am runner. I am a runner!

Personally, I am a runner and I don't want to be a jogger. I hate jogging. I hate my easy runs. I hate taking it easy. I do it because my body tells me to and so does my training schedule. One day a lady stopped me for directions during a run and she said, "sorry I interrupted your jog." She motivated me to run back home the faster that I ever had. I sprinted through the streets saying to myself, "Jog?! F*&!ing jog?! I'm running here lady! You want to race me?! Huh?! Do ya?!" Yeah, so I freaked out, but it's OK... I am crazy. I am a runner.

In the end I think Bingham has hit the nail on the head. So everyone stop reading this and go for a jog, a run, a rog or a jun. Just get out, get some exercise and have fun!

No comments: