Monday, October 29, 2007

Ultrasound & PT Monday

I had my ultrasound to rule out blood clots in my leg this morning. As was expected, no blood clots were found. The woman who did my ultrasound showed me how they tell if blood clots exist. After she lubed me up with the jelly, she rubs the deodorant shaped stick around my leg. She starts at the top because clots travel north and works her way to my ankle. At certain points she presses the deodorant down on my leg. As I watch the screen, she shows me my artery and vein. When she pushes they squish down and as long as they squish, there are no blood clots - if they don't squish, you may need to worry. She also showed me how they detect clots with sound. Again, she presses the deodorant on my leg and then squeezes the bottom of my leg. This creates a wooshing sound as the blood pushes through my arteries and veins. If there were no sound, she would worry. It was really incredible to see how all of it worked and I was so happy that she took the time to show me around my leg. I guess she did owe me something after rubbing all that disgusting jelly up and down my leg... ugh!

**Disclaimer**
The above described ultrasound should not be taken scientifically as proof of whether clots exist or not. It is merely my rendition of what the woman told me. It should, in now way, be taken as the truth regarding your own personal health.

So I followed that with my day job and then some PT. Tonight's PT session included: stim & wall press, StairMaster kickbacks, high knees, hip adduction/abduction (the one that does the outside of the leg), stim & balance with weights, StairMaster 4x1 sprints, skiing leg press, stim & leg kickbacks, stretches, stim & ice. Whoa! What a session.

I love my PT place because they ask you how long you have to do PT that day, you tell them, and they work within it. Oh not to mention you can just drop in whenever is convenient for you. That's right, convenient for you. When did the doctor/patient relationship actually start being about the patient... apparently whenever my PT place opened.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Oh No!! I am so sorry to read that you are dealing with this :( I know first hand how frustrating the calf strains are. You are such a better patient than me though....I flat out refused to go see a doctor for fear of what they would tell me! You are doing the right things though and I hope it will loosen up for you soon.

Let me know if you want any advice or want to biotch about it since I've been there!